March 9, 2012

new baby

My grandmother was Carol Mae. She was an incredible homemaker who could do pretty much everything. I have inherited many sewing items from her including the pattern weights that I use almost daily. There are many recipes that I make that bring back many fond memories of sitting in her kitchen when I was just a little girl. Runzas is one of them.  A sweet dough that is filled with beef and cabbage- yum!

My best friend, who just had the sweet baby girl,  made these for me in the days after I had Mae. They are so good and are such a process to get made I think they taste that much better. I made them for her today to return the favor.

Runzas
Dough:
5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 pkg yeast
3/4 c milk
1/2 c water
1/2 c shortening
2 eggs (room temp)

Filling:
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 c cabbage, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Measure 2 cups of flour into bowl. Stir in sugar, salt and yeast. Set aside. Heat milk, water and shortening until shortening is melted. Allow to cool to warm. Once cool add to flour mixture and stir until combined. Add eggs and beat at low speed. Then beat at high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Knead 3 minutes and cover to let rise.

Brown beef and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When beef is fully cooked stir in cabbage. Break dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll 1 part of the dough and cut into 12 squares. Spoon a couple tablespoons of filling onto each square. Fold in corners and pinch to close. Flip over and place on baking sheet so corners are on the bottom. Let rise for 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment